Autumn Sunset Mixed Media Artwork

Process of my painting Autumn Sunset.


I was playing around with fluids acrylics on watercolor paper. I decided I was going to go out of my comfort zone and use purple for a sunset. Purple is not a color that comes easy to me but I'm always trying to stretch myself.

I came up with this painting that I called Sunset.

really loved how it turned out and loved the use of purple for the sky

So I decided I wanted to do a similar painting but larger and on a canvas.

I wanted to create texture and use flowy paints. I love textures and love the watercolor effects.

I covered my canvas panel with modeling paste and created different textures using a palette knife, some gramineae that I collected during one of my walks, and some threads leftover from sewing. 


Texture created by applying the gramineae on the wet modeling paste.


Texture created with threads and palette knife.


I let everything dry for 24 hours and then started painting using fluid acrylics and inks and water to give that watercolor effect. This is a technique I learned with the artist Summer Lowe when I took some abstract art classes with her at the Johns Creek art center. This is a technique that I love and use a lot in my paintings.

I love to combine different techniques. 
I applied some cellophane on my wet paint to create texture [something I've seen watercolor artists do].


Once the paint was dry I removed the cellophane and you can see the textures that were created with the cellophane. You can also see the textures of the threads.


The sun was a happy accident! It was a drop of water. At first I was bummed but then realized that it was perfect for a sun going down and disappearing behind the mountains.


The painting was not finished just yet. I let it sit for about a few days just to give me time to think about what I wanted to do with it. I went over certain areas with several layers of paint to create even more depth. 

I also wanted to create a contrast with the graminaea and decided to paint them with sepia.


I also reworked my sun a bit, added more texture to the mountains and colors to the land. 
Again I let it sit for several days as I thought something was missing. It wasn't finished just yet. I decided to added more green at the bottom of the mountains and on the land and it now it felt finished.




Both paintings are available on my website











Comments

Popular Posts