First experiments with ice dyeing

 It's been a long time since I haven't blogged anything. But this week one of my friends really inspired me to write again and share about my work.  

So here we go! 

Those who know me know that I'm always trying and learning new techniques. 

I've been willing to try hand dyeing for quite some time now. Last year while researching about hand dyeing I stumbled upon the technique of ice dyeing. I was amazed by the unique results and knew I had to try it. This spring I finally took my courage in both hands and ordered a couple of dyes and the fun started!!!!


The process of ice dyeing is very cool! People often refer to it as tie dye but the process and the results are very different.

You first need to treat the fabric in a soda ash solution. This solution will activate the dye.
You then scrunch or tie your fabric [like you would do for tie dye]. I prefer to scrunch as I love the beautiful patterns created this way. You put your fabric on a rack and apply ice on top of it. Then you apply your dye. You can also do the other way round, fabric, dye and then ice.
The dye used is a fiber reactive dye. 


As the ice melts the dye flows on to the fabric creating some amazing and beautiful shades, patterns and textures. Some dyes are pure, but other dyes are mixed and they will split into different colors as they move on to the fabric. 
You need to let the batch sit for about 48 hours after the ice melts. Then you can rinse it and wash it. It is recommended to rinse it with cold water until the water runs almost clear and then wash with hot water. I wash my fabrics 3 times after the rinse.

Those were my very first attempts.

On this fabric I used 3 different pure dyes: yellow, orange and hot pink.


This one I used hot pink and orange.


With my first test I created this one of a kind top called Summer Explosion.
 I didn't have enough dyed fabric to make an entire top so I combined it with a solid jersey that I hand printed. I added a few details such as appliques and a fake pocket made with the hand dyed fabric.





This top is available on my website















Comments

Popular Posts